Civil Partnership and Same-Sex Marriage Solicitors

Getting married or entering a civil partnership is a significant step in anyone’s relationship. Our specialist family lawyers can provide practical help and support throughout the legal process – whether you’re building your relationship, making it legal through marriage or civil partnership, or if it has broken down.

What is a civil partnership?

In short, it’s a legally recognised relationship between two people. Until 31st December 2019, only same-sex couples could enter into a civil partnership.

There are several differences between civil partnerships and same-sex marriage – but these are subtle. For legal purposes, civil partners can’t call themselves ‘married’, for example.

The only other difference is the civil partnership certificate; this includes the names of both parties’ parents, whilst marriage certificates only include the father’s name.

Same-sex marriage rights

Couples in same-sex marriages effectively have the same legal rights as married heterosexual couples. It’s also now straightforward for civil partners to convert their partnership into a marriage, should they so wish.

So why choose same-sex marriage over a civil partnership? For many, the deciding factor will be having the right to use the term ‘marriage’, which is an important symbol of equality before the law.

Blog | What’s the difference between same-sex marriage and a civil partnership?

Civil partnership dissolution and same-sex divorce

The status of your relationship (i.e. whether you’re civil partners or married) will determine how you end it.

If you’re in a civil partnership, you need to apply for a dissolution; whilst if you’re in a same-sex marriage, you need to apply for a divorce. However, the process for both works in largely the same way.

Blog | How do you end a civil partnership?

To apply for a dissolution or divorce, you must have been married or in your civil partnership for at least a year. You no longer have to prove that your relationship has irretrievably broken down, but you do need to make a statement saying that the relationship has come to an end.

If the judge accepts the application for divorce or dissolution, they’ll grant a Final Order. This formally ends your marriage or civil partnership.

Contact our civil partnership and same-sex marriage solicitors

For help and advice from a solicitor specialising in civil partnerships and same-sex marriage, call us on 0117 325 2929, click here to make an immediate start online or complete our online enquiry form.

In some areas of family law, we offer a complimentary initial telephone call of up to 30 minutes with a member of our family law team. This meeting is designed for you to get to know your solicitor and to discuss your options. If specific advice is required and you’d like to continue past the 30 minutes, please let your solicitor know and you may be able to carry on into a more detailed consultation. This time will be chargeable, but your solicitor will tell you how much it will be.


    How can we help you?

    We’re here to help. Please fill in the form and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can. Or call us on 0117 325 2929.

    Get Started Online

    Ready to make a start? Our online system allows you to get started anywhere, any time.

    Start Now

    • "Kim Joseph is extremely experienced, particularly in acting for children in public law and complex private law matters."
      Legal 500 UK 2024
    • "Sarah Marshall is diligent and attentive in private law matters, not afraid to give sensible advice"
      Legal 500 UK 2024
    • "Michelle Hubbard gives excellent client care in public law"
      Legal 500 UK 2024
    • "Abi Cousins is is brilliant at working with tricky clients and getting on top of the legal landscape. She is definitely one to watch!"
      Legal 500 UK 2024
    • “Client care and attention to detail are Gareth’s strong points, allied to an appropriately firm approach to litigation.”
      Chambers and Partners 2023