Civil Partnership Dissolution Solicitors

If you are in a civil partnership and you wish to formally end it, you need to apply for a ‘dissolution order’. The process of dissolving a civil partnership is similar that of a divorce in that you need to prove that the relationship has irretrievably broken down.

Our civil partnership dissolution expertise

Our family team is band 3 ranked in legal guide, Chambers and Partners UK, for its expertise in matrimonial law. Our solicitors are accredited by the Law Society for Family Law and Children Law, recognising our expertise in these areas.

Should you need legal advice about any property issues related to your civil partnership dissolution, our Conveyancing Quality Scheme (CQS) accredited conveyancing solicitors are on hand to assist with buying and selling, remortgaging or a change of title.

Our specialist family solicitors can advise you on the process of dissolving your civil partnership, and provide guidance on other aspects such as financial and childcare arrangements.

The application forms for dissolving a civil partnership are readily available on the Government website. However, an experienced family lawyer can ensure the dissolution process runs as smoothly as possible, and can be on hand to advise on any complications that may arise along the way.

What are the grounds for dissolution?

To apply for a dissolution, you must have been in your civil partnership for at least one year. You must also be able to prove that your relationship has irretrievably broken down, using one of the following reasons:

  • Your partner has behaved in such a way that you cannot reasonably be expected to live with them. This reason is often referred to as ‘unreasonable behaviour’.
  • You and your partner have been separated for two years and your partner consents to the dissolution.
  • You and your partner have been separated for five years (no consent is required for this reason).
  • Your partner has deserted you for a continuous period of two years up to the point of your application.

You can find out more about the legal procedure for obtaining a civil partnership dissolution in this blog.

Financial arrangements

Once you have made the decision to start the dissolution process, our family solicitors can look at your shared property and assets, and discuss with you how you wish for them to be divided.

There are lots of factors to take into account when advising on a fair financial settlement. These include:

  • The current income and future earnings of both parties.
  • You and your ex-partner’s financial needs and obligations.
  • The standard of living you enjoyed during the civil partnership.
  • The age of each civil partner.
  • The duration of the civil partnership.
  • Any physical or mental disabilities.
  • Financial contributions that each civil partner has made or is likely to make.
  • The conduct of both civil partners.

Our civil partnership solicitors will advise you each of these aspects tailored to your circumstances and endeavour to achieve a fair financial settlement.

Childcare arrangements after a dissolution

When it comes to childcare arrangements after separation, civil partners have the same rights as married couples and any other parents with parental responsibility.

If you have a child during the civil partnership or if you enter into a civil partnership with the parent of your child, you would acquire parental responsibility for the child. If you are in any doubt as to whether you have parental responsibility for a child and wish for more advice, our expert child law solicitors can assist.

If you are having difficulty reaching agreement about arrangements for your child/children, our child law solicitors can also offer advice on the best way to reach a resolution. Civil partners with parental responsibility for a child can also apply for a Child Arrangements Order if they are unable to come to an agreement.

Disputing a civil partnership dissolution

Refusals to cooperate with the dissolution of a civil partnership are rare, however, if you or your ex-partner are disputing the dissolution or refuse to cooperate with the dissolution process, we can advise you on what to do next.

Contact our civil partnership dissolution solicitors in Bristol and South Gloucestershire

Our family solicitors advise people all across the UK from our six offices in Bristol and the surrounding area, located in Bedminster, Bishopston, Clifton, Kingswood, Queen Square and Thornbury.

To contact our specialist solicitors about a civil partnership dissolution, call us on 0117 325 2929 or fill out our online enquiry form. Alternatively, you can make an immediate start online.


    How can we help you?

    We’re here to help. Please fill in the form and we’ll get back to you as soon as we can. Or call us on 0117 325 2929.

    • "Thank you for everything - your hard work, for listening to me rant, for keeping me focused. You are amazing at your job."
      AnonDivorce + Separation Client
    • "I just wanted to say a massive thank you to you for guiding me through this process thus far. Your knowledge and care has been greatly appreciated."
      Ms WDivorce + Separation Client
    • "At last it's all over! Thank you so much for being my rock through the whole thing, you made it so much more bearable."
      AnonDivorce + Separation Client
    • "One of the first things that really impressed me was that, at my very first visit, Hanni was exceptionally sympathetic, kind, understanding and professional. This gave me every confidence in Barcan+Kirby. Excellent service."
      AnonDivorce + Separation Client
    • "I can’t thank you enough for all your support. I’m just about to start a new exciting personal and work chapter, and that’s down to all that you have done to support me."
      AnonDivorce + Separation Client