Yesterday the Supreme Court ruled against Pimlico Plumbers in a dispute over whether one of their erstwhile operatives – a Mr Smith – more…
Firm raises £7,781 for Macmillan
For the past year we’ve been raising money for Macmillan Cancer Support, and now that 2016 is over we’re delighted to announce our fundraising total is £7,781!
As well as the usual coffee mornings (with monthly supplies of home-baked cake), here’s a look back at some of the fundraising activities we got up to this year:
- March saw some friendly competition in our 6 Nations sweepstake – due to the random draw, some diehard England and Wales fans found themselves supporting each other’s teams!
- Our annual Easter bake sale proved an enormous hit with clients and colleagues, who collectively walked away with £332 worth of cake.
- The race was on to burn off the carbs for OutRun May, in which staff each set themselves a monthly running target. The average distance run was 32.5 miles – although we suspect keen joggers Claire Hurrell and Gareth Hughes pulled that total up a bit…
- The charity auction at our summer party in June saw staff bidding on everything from cream teas to fencing lessons, raising over £200.
- The Royal Naval Volunteer was full to the rafters for our summer sports quiz in August – the lure of pizza and quizzing stardom drawing in several teams from outside the firm.
- In November, the Great Barcan+Kirby Bake Off set a high bar for Channel 4 to beat. Richard Barcan and Giles Woodward, equipped with their Mary and Paul masks, set off on a cycling tour of the offices to crown the firm’s star baker. 50 miles, 6 offices, 30 cakes and a million calories later, £300 had been raised.
Summing up the year’s fundraising work, Samantha Castle, Senior Associate Solicitor, remarked:
“It’s been a pleasure supporting Macmillan this year – everyone at Barcan+Kirby has really got behind our fundraising events, from bake offs to charity auctions. Well done to all our staff, who have worked hard to raise money, and in particular to our charity committee who have put in the hours to make this year’s fundraising activities a success.
Thanks to Ceris and her team at Macmillan for being our point of contact and providing us with regular updates on the vital work that the charity does. We’re also extremely grateful to have had the support of our clients and local office communities for our fundraising activities.”