Salma is a Partner and Head of Commercial Property at Barcan+Kirby. She specialises in acting on behalf of SME developers dealing with all aspects of commercial property transactions, including site acquisitions, development funding, bridging finance, portfolio re-finance/re-structure, loan syndication and title splits/re-structure of property.
Salma has an interest in Islamic finance and recognises this is an area of growth in the commercial finance market. Salma is known for her pragmatic and balanced advice whilst always keeping in mind the commercial aspect of the transaction.
Following admittance as a Solicitor in 2008, Salma worked in a West London high street practice, dealing with both contentious and non-contentious property matters before joining Barcan+Kirby in 2018. She was promoted from Senior Associate to Partner in April 2021.
Salma is an advocate for promoting Equality, Diversity and Inclusion in the legal profession. She is a Social Mobility Ambassador at The Law Society and Chair of our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Committee.
Salma was voted as one of the Top 10 Influential Muslims in the Legal Profession in the UK in 2022.
Salma is a member of:
- The Law Society Council (representing the Bristol constituency)
- Bristol Law Society’s Equality, Diversity & Inclusion Committee, which she also co-chairs
- The Bristol Law Society Council
- The Association of Women in Property South West
- The Faculty of Business and Law Advisory Board at the University of the West of England
- Bristol Property Agents Association (BPAA) (Affiliate Member)
Cases and coverage
- Commercial Property team completes on £14.3m new build development funding
- Commercial Property team completes on 31 social housing units in Bristol
- ‘Bristol lawyer chosen as role model to inspire entrants to profession from non-traditional backgrounds’
- Legal Practice Course from the University of Law
- Law (LL.B.) from the University of the West of England