0117 325 2929

Court of Protection

If someone close to you lacks the mental capacity to manage their own affairs, our Court of Protection solicitors can provide practical help and advice.

Mental incapacity can affect any of us, whether through illness – such as dementia or Alzheimer’s – or serious injury, and we may need some help to manage our finances or welfare.

In an ideal world, the person affected will have previously made a Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) and appointed an Attorney to manage their affairs on their behalf. But if an LPA doesn’t exist, you’ll need to apply to the Court of Protection to become their Deputy.

What is the Court of Protection?

The Court of Protection safeguards the rights of vulnerable people and has the authority to appoint a Deputy to manage someone else’s affairs when they lack the capability to do so themselves. A Deputy is normally a relative or close friend; however we can also act as a person’s Deputy.

Before you apply for deputyship, speak to our specialist Court of Protection solicitors in Bristol or South Gloucestershire. We can advise you on the steps involved in managing and making decisions for someone else and can help you make your application to court.

If you’re acting as Deputy for someone, we can support you in your role. We can also apply to become a Deputy for your loved one.

Our Will and Trust solicitors can also help you plan for the future by establishing a Lasting Power of Attorney, or by helping you register an LPA.

Further information

If you need to write or update your Will, create a trust or discuss a Lasting Power of Attorney, speak to our Will, Trust + Probate team in Bristol.

Click here to request an estimate for our Will writing services. Alternatively call us on 0117 325 2929 or complete our online enquiry form.

Latest Wills, trusts + probate News + Blog

Sign up for our e-newsletter

Enter your email below to join the mailing list