0117 325 2929

Deputyships Solicitors – Making a Deputyship Application

It’s incredibly difficult watching someone close to you lose the ability to make their own decisions. But if your friend or relative has lost mental capacity, and they don’t have a valid Enduring or Lasting Power of Attorney in place, you can apply to the Court of Protection to be their deputy.

Our experienced Court of Protection solicitors specialise in all matters relating to deputyships. We can help you if you want to become a deputy, if you need help managing your duties, or if you (or another deputy) want to give up their responsibilities.

You can even ask the court to appoint us as professional deputies.

What is a deputy?

A deputy is someone who is appointed by the Court of Protection to act or make decisions on behalf of someone who lacks the capacity to do so themselves.

Anyone aged 18 or over can apply to be a deputy, but it’s normally a family member or close friend of the person affected.

There are two types of Court of Protection deputyship:

  • A property + affairs deputy makes decisions about financial affairs, including the sale and purchase of property
  • A health + welfare deputy makes decisions about a person’s care and living arrangements, including what medical treatment should be given.

If you’re applying to become a deputy, the type of COP deputyship will depend upon your situation and the circumstances of the vulnerable person.

Speak to our professional deputy lawyers – we can advise you on the steps involved in managing and making decisions for someone else and can help you make your application to court.

Support for deputies

Acting as a deputy carries big – sometimes overwhelming – responsibility. As well as the emotional impact, there are practical implications that you’ll need to consider, such as whether you have the time to carry out such a role.

It’s common for deputies to need support in their role and our experienced team can provide this. We can help register the order with banks, provide guidance on dealing with the Office of the Public Guardian (OPG) and accessing benefits, and help you manage the deputyship accounts.

As professional deputies ourselves, we understand what’s required and will work with you to make being a deputy as simple and as stress free as possible.

Further information

For help and advice on all matters relating to the Court of Protection, call our deputyship solicitors in Bristol and South Gloucestershire on 0117 325 2929 or complete our online enquiry form.

Latest Court of Protection News + Blog

Sign up for our e-newsletter

Enter your email below to join the mailing list