Corporate and Commercial Lawyer
The Corporate + Commercial department was established in 2017 and has grown rapidly since then, both in terms of the size of the team and the volume and quality of client work. The team consists of a Partner heading up the department, another Partner focused on commercial work, two Solicitors, a Trainee and one Legal Secretary. We are looking to recruit another lawyer in order to meet increasing client work demands and assist with the continued growth of the team.
You will develop and maintain links with new and existing clients and undertake all elements of corporate and commercial fee earning work. This is a unique and exciting opportunity to be an integral part of the firm’s growing capability in the provision of commercial legal services.
The position will suit a junior/mid-level lawyer looking to gain hands-on experience with plenty of client contact, or a more senior lawyer wanting something a little different in terms of opportunities and challenges, with the ability to influence matters within the team and the firm more widely.
Barcan+Kirby is well known in the Bristol legal market both as a provider of excellent legal services for individuals and business clients, but also as a progressive firm with an excellent reputation as an employer. Barcan+Kirby prides itself on promoting the work/life balance of employees and both the firm and the team are fully supportive of flexible working arrangements.
“I never imagined I could find a job in corporate law where working flexibly was a ‘real’ option. Having worked at large city firms, I knew the score. You may be paid part time but you certainly didn’t work part time. I found it incredibly refreshing to find Barcan+Kirby and a really satisfying role where I could balance work and family life, and I was trusted to do my job in whatever way suited me.
I moved to the West Country from London in 2017. At the time, I was commuting to my job there but wanted something closer to home given my young family and all the constant juggle that brings. I love my sport – golf, netball and tennis, and being able to commit to these things that keep me balanced and fit in body and mind has always been a priority for me.
I’m proud to lead our small but growing Corporate and Commercial team, a core part of our offering of legal services for businesses. The team currently consists of six people: two Partners, two Solicitors, one Senior Legal Secretary and a Trainee. As our reputation has grown, we have seen instructions steadily rise year on year and we are now in a position to expand the team further.”
– Georgina Bryant, Partner and Head of our Corporate + Commercial department
Undertake all elements of corporate and commercial fee earning work including:
- Share sales and purchases
- Asset sales and purchases
- Shareholder agreements
- Management buy outs
- Share buybacks and general corporate law advice
- Partnership agreements and advice
- Terms and conditions of business and other commercial agreements (e.g. distribution, services, franchising agreements)
- General commercial law advice including for retainer clients
- Liaising with and coordinating input of other departments into matters
- Providing advice to other departments, e.g. Commercial Property, Employment, Commercial Disputes and Probate
- Developing know-how and precedents for the team
- Financial control with particular regard to scoping and pricing and cash flow control
Business development work (in conjunction with the established Marketing department):
- Attending internal and external networking events
- Developing sources of work and maintaining relationships with existing contacts and clients
- Identifying and driving forwards areas for growth
- Involvement in marketing strategies and initiatives
- Developing blogs and marketing material for the department
- Cross-department working to raise profile of the work undertaken by the team and identify cross-selling opportunities
Knowledge and experience
- Previous experience as a Corporate and Commercial lawyer
- Business development skills: knowledge and experience of networking as a business development tool
- Sound technical legal skills and subject matter expertise
- Qualified Solicitor or Chartered Legal Executive
- Minimum of two years’ PQE*
* The PQE identified is a guide only and does not preclude applications from those with more or less PQE. For example, we would be interested in applications from senior lawyers looking for a more flexible role to suit their personal circumstances.
Skills and competencies
- Thrives working as part of a team, and helps and supports others
- Embraces change and challenges and has the ability to respond to external influences and a changing business environment
- Management experience
- Able to identify and implement improvements to ways of working within the team and across the firm
- Able to negotiate and has experience of being able to change other people’s views
- Can communicate effectively with people at all levels
- Able to convey information clearly and concisely, both verbally and in writing, with language appropriate to the audience
Management of themselves and others
- Able to organise their own work within deadlines and to agreed standards
- Able to motivate themselves and be fully productive without being prompted
- Able to balance tasks and structure own workload to make best use of time and resources
- Takes a long-term view, sets goals for the future, takes a strategic perspective
- Solutions focused and proactive in progressing matters and obtaining results
- Responds promptly within agreed service level standards
- Anticipates clients’ future requirements, understands business objectives and commercial realities and takes a client focused pragmatic approach
- Takes ownership of any problems and maintains contact with client until they are resolved
- Takes personal pride in their work and is committed to producing work of highest quality, shows initiative in improving results
- Focuses on getting things finished, persists until the job is done
- Ability to work calmly and to maintain a disciplined approach to the task under the pressure of deadlines and/or changing objectives
- Focuses on detail and is methodical, organised and systematic in their approach
- Able to view problems and solutions from a range of perspectives, applies experience gained in different circumstances and areas of work to assist with decision making
- Able to use own initiative in making sound decisions
- Generates new ideas, enjoys being creative, thinks of original solutions
Location and working hours
- Working hours are 9am – 5.15pm, Monday to Friday (including a one-hour unpaid lunch break), however, part-time, flexible and hybrid working will be considered
- You will be based at our Bishopston (Gloucester Road) / Queen Square office
How to apply
We are looking to talk with experienced corporate and commercial lawyers who want to work with a firm who really do get it. This is an opportunity to have your perfect job, without the need to sacrifice everything else which is important to you. If you like what you’ve read so far, call Helen on 0117 325 2929 or email Recruitment@barcankirby.co.uk for a confidential initial discussion.
Alternatively, send us your CV and cover letter using the form below.