Commercial Property Lawyer – Bristol City Centre
You’ll be joining an established and forward-thinking Bristol law firm, delivering high-quality work to meet the ever-changing needs of our commercial clients. The team is currently working with a variety of clients involved in shaping the future of Bristol, including developments such as Wapping Wharf. This role offers the right candidate fantastic opportunities for career progression, including partnership.
Whilst our preference is for a full-time Lawyer, we are also inviting applications from candidates looking for part-time hours. The role offers hybrid working, with some office presence required on a weekly basis. We are also happy to consider a flexible working pattern.
Working with our Head of Department, you’ll undertake all elements of commercial property work, whilst also forming, developing and maintaining links with new and existing commercial property clients.
As an experienced qualified Lawyer, this is your opportunity to join a thriving law firm and department, offering the chance to work autonomously with a varied workload and innovative training and development prospects. This role offers fantastic opportunities for career progression.
Your main fee-earning work will include:
- Sales and purchases of properties and businesses, mortgage and re-financing; both individual and portfolio.
- Landlord and tenant matters including grant and assignment of leases, lease renewals, and licenses to assign and to alter.
- Development acquisitions and disposals, pension properties and joint venture agreements.
- Management of support services, including departmental Secretaries and Paralegals.
- Maintaining financial control with particular regard to cash flow control through accurate time-recording, collection of monies on account and billing procedures.
- Ensuring compliance with SAR, SRA Code of Conduct, anti-money laundering and Lexcel rules and requirements for all matters conducted.
- Understanding commercial banking documents, such as debentures and personal guarantees.
- Assisting the Corporate + Commercial team on property-related matters in corporate transactions.
- Marketing and business development activities, alongside our established Marketing team, including:
- Representing the firm at networking events and other sponsored events.
- Developing sources of work.
- Involvement in marketing strategies and initiatives.
- Cross-department working to raise profile and understanding of the work and identify cross-selling opportunities.
Barcan+Kirby is well known in the Bristol legal market both as a provider of excellent legal services for individuals and businesses, and as a progressive employer.
We are committed to developing and nurturing our people, and encouraging positive wellbeing and mental health is central to our culture. When we say we offer a work/life balance, we mean it, and we were advocates for flexible working long before the Covid-19 pandemic.
We work hard to maintain a culture of kindness and friendliness, and we like to think that we do things a bit differently from other law firms.
The ideal candidate
Our ideal candidate will be a qualified Solicitor or FCILEx with at least two years’ PQE working in commercial property/real estate.
You must have outstanding people management experience and excellent organisational skills. You will have marketing initiative experience and implementation, strong networking skills, and ideally have established local contacts.
In addition to this, our ideal candidate will have varied experience in commercial property/real estate including, but not limited to, commercial lease transactions, lease renewals and the sale/purchase of commercial property.
IT literacy is essential, as is confidence in using and adapting to new systems and processes.
Leadership and business experience would be an additional advantage, as would be a 360 vision of how the department can become more efficient and profitable whilst striving to ensure we have a motivated, efficient and well-trained team.
Location and working hours
- Full-time (standard office hours are 9am – 5.15pm, Monday to Friday) but part-time and a flexible working pattern will be considered.
- The role is based at our city centre office with the option to apply for hybrid working.
How to apply
Ready to apply for this role? Send us your CV and cover letter using the form below. Got a question? Email our recruitment team.