0117 325 2929

Court of Protection solicitors

If someone close to you lacks the mental capacity to manage their own affairs, our Court of Protection solicitors can provide practical help and advice.

In an ideal world, the person affected will have previously made a Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) and appointed an Attorney to manage their affairs on their behalf. But if an LPA doesn’t exist, you’ll need to apply to the Court of Protection to become a Deputy or ask the Court to make a decision.

What is the Court of Protection?

The Court of Protection safeguards the rights of vulnerable people and has the authority to appoint a Deputy to manage someone else’s affairs when they lack the capability to do so themselves. A Deputy is sometimes a relative or close friend, but the court can also appoint our lawyers to act as a person’s Deputy where required.

How our Court of Protection solicitors can help you

Our Court of Protection lawyers can help to ensure your loved one’s needs are met, providing compassionate, practical support to make dealing with these challenging and sensitive issues as straightforward as possible.

Our Court of Protection department is led by a Law Society accredited practitioner in Mental Capacity (Welfare) and the team includes trained Dementia Friends, as well as members of Solicitors for the Elderly and the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP).

Barcan+Kirby has also been recognised by the Law Society with their Lexcel accreditation reflecting the strength of our client services and we are independently regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA).

Our Court of Protection solicitors can help you with:

  • Appointing or applying to be a deputy
  • Ongoing support for deputies
  • Professional deputy services
  • Court of Protection disputes
  • Misuse of power
  • Statutory Wills + the Court of Protection
  • Compensation trusts
  • Establishing a Lasting Power of Attorney, or by helping you register an LPA
It was very reassuring to have you deal with the power of attorney for my daughter. Mr Holdsworth showed great understanding when dealing with my daughter. My heartfelt thanks to you.

Anon | Court of Protection client

How much will it cost?

For Court of Protection matters, the legal fees and expenses involved can usually be recovered from the assets of the person you are acting as deputy for.

We provide fixed-fee legal services for straightforward Court of Protection issues, such as deputyship applications.

For more complex matters, we may agree an hourly rate and an estimate of the costs involved. In such cases, we will keep you regularly updated about any expenditure, so you can keep control of the costs at all times.

We also have a contract to provide legal aid to eligible clients in some health and welfare matters. Your eligibility for this can be discussed when booking the appointment.

Get in touch with our Court of Protection solicitors in Bristol

Get in touch with our expert Court of Protection solicitors in Bristol by calling us on 0117 905 9787 or completing our online enquiry form.

We support individuals and families across the UK with all aspects of Court of Protection deputyship from our six offices in Bristol and the surrounding area located in Bedminster, Clifton, Horfield, Kingswood, Queens Square and Thornbury. We can also offer home visits to clients where appropriate.

Ask us a question

Latest Court of Protection News + Blog

Sign up for our e-newsletter

Enter your email below to join the mailing list